51/52



52/52

"A portrait of my girls, once a week, every week, in 2014."
These weeks:
Alyssa lost her second tooth and the Tooth Fairy almost forgot about it but then saved herself with leaving 200 tenge (approx. $1.10). Which Alyssa already spent (along with her other money that she's been saving) on some coloring books.
it's been getting hard being stuck in the apartment almost all the time without our things or toys. I miss my stuff. Ok, just some of it. Just a tiny part of it and I have no idea what to do with the rest of the stuff that's coming sometime (hopefully) soon.
have I told you we went to look at our new house and how not happy I am about it? No? Well, I am sure you don't want to hear my complaints. I'll just say we will be in the middle of construction and nothing else in sight but Kazakhstanian steppes. And the airport not far. And it's not even a good house to be stuck at. Grr.
Emma asked for a new book and I decided to get her into the Narnia series. She read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in two days and loved it.
Matt had quite a lot of time off these past two weeks. Needless to say, it's been so wonderful to have him home with us. We walked a lot going to different places and exploring Astana a little at a time.
It's amazing how humans adapt to different conditions that they're thrown into. Before we got here I could not imagine going outside at this cold weather. Now -11c feels warm and nice. Next week it should get colder though.
as we spent more time walking to places and doing things along with Kazakhstanians (what do you call people from Kazakhstan?) we realized how they don't have a concept of standing in line. You could be waiting for a long time and they'd be cutting in front of you. Four grumpy kids and a stroller doesn't even help to be able to get noticed. We need to learn to be bolder and start telling them to get back behind us.
Christmas came and went. It's been hard as we don't have our things and we couldn't make a festive Christmas meal or wrap all the presents. We've been missing being with family during this holidays season too. But all in all our girls were happy to get the presents they've been asking Santa for this year and we spent time together.
I started giving some Math assignments to the girls and I am afraid my decision to homeschool might backfire at me. Emma is not an easy child to homeschool. She doesn't like Math and just turns herself off when I give her assignments. She starts being whiny and just very unpleasant to be around. I am worried about it as I want the girls to go to a Russian/English school in September and their Math program is much more advanced than she's been doing this far. Oh, wish me luck, my friends, as I will really need it.
And just like that I am done with the 52/52 Project. I will still try to pop in here and there with pictures of girls and updates but I am glad I don't have to come up with pictures every single week.
Linking up with Jodi.
It does sound like a trying time for you at the moment, but my, you're getting to have such wonderful adventures too! I can't wait until my kids are old enough to experience the magic of the Narnia books!
ReplyDeleteI'm sad your 52/52 project is over. I LOVE reading your updates! And I'll be interested in your homeschool journey. Whenever I think about it, I realize my kids wouldn't learn anything because I don't want to fight all day about school :) Good luck, we love you guys!
ReplyDeleteI missed that you had taken the homeschooling plunge! It will get better. Natasha acted the same way you described Emma, except it was when we worked on her English reading, for months. We took a break for the holidays and I think something clicked during the downtime - we have had three really good reading lessons this week. It is an adjustment for both of you! And I wanted to say, K looks just like Emma in that sleeping picture.
ReplyDeletefun
ReplyDelete