The thing I love about Bulgaria is that it is quite close to other countries that I always wanted to visit before I die. For our family of five driving is the cheapest option. So I made asked Matt nicely to take a Friday off so we could drive down to Greece. I was hoping we could relax at the beach and let the girls play with the sand but the weather wasn't cooperative, and although it was warm it wasn't sunny to go to the beach. We had to find other things to do.
So we drove to downtown Thessaloniki and parked our car. We decided to tackle a couple of museums in the morning while the kids were good. The problem with that plan was we did not have any cash on us yet and apparently greek museums don't accept cards. The other problem was that we could not find an ATM anywhere near the museum. We spent an hour walking around looking for an ATM. Stumbled into a crowd of African charlatans who gave our kids bracelets and then asked for money.
Hour later we finally got some Euros and headed to the museum with which we started our day off - The Greek Archeological Museum. As much as I enjoyed it we had to go through it fast as by then our kids were cranky and getting hungry. So we skipped our second museum plans and went to look for food in that same area.
We decided to stroll through the Waterfront but major portion of it was closed due to construction. But we did walk by the symbol of the city - the White Tower. We did not go in because the crankiness and whining was getting worse.
On the other side of the tower we saw Pizza Hut restaurant and ran to it, but it was closed for some odd reason. At that moment we turned around and started walking to the car. Drove to the quite nice greek mall with a TGI Friday's in it and sat down to eat there. And to finish off our day we went to a small and scary looking amusement park that was right next to the mall and let the kids ride as many times on all the rides as they wanted.
So to sum it up our weekend was spent pretty decently. But now I want to go back so we can just relax on the beach. Not a bad reason for return, eh?
What a cool weekend getaway! I want to drive to greece and eat a gyro and tzatziki sauce :)
ReplyDeletealso, I need to see pictures of this small (and scary looking) amusement park.
That is funny things were randomly closed - when we were in Greece everything kept closing because the workers would decide to go on strike. The airport, ferries, everything was closed down randomly. I think they just like a excuse to take a day off.
ReplyDeleteOh the joys of traveling with kids. It looks cool though, and a beach vacation is ALWAYS nice, you definitely have to go back.
ReplyDeleteI am impressed you even attempted ONE museum with the kids! Sadly, I never made it to Greece, looks pretty cool. And yes, always ALWAYS remember to carry some Euros with you when in Europe. I think we maybe used our bank card once over the three years we lived there. Cash was just so much easier and kept me on track with spending too.
ReplyDeleteThat's funny about the Africans trying to screw you over! That was how it felt going in Paris...too many immigrants from poor countries trying to take advantage of you. Stay safe!
I am jealous! I wish we lived in driving distance of cool places that I have not already seen. Sounds like a great trip. You should definitely take more before you have another baby :)
ReplyDelete