Pages

Chestita Baba Marta!

March 1, 2013

Mar 1

Today is the first day of spring! I am so happy and excited about coming warm weather and all the things that follow it. Bulgarians celebrate 1st of March as the first day of spring and a day of new beginnings. At this day people give each other 'martenitsas' which are little red and white bracelets and tiny (and not so tiny) tassels to pin on their clothing. I did not think people still followed this tradition but I was pleasantly surprised as when I went out today I saw a lot of people (men and women) wearing those said things.

Mar 4

You cannot see well here but Emma has quite a few on her dress too.

Red and white threads symbolize the wish for good health. So people that give each other 'martenitsas' actually wish each other healthy and long lives. Matt came from work covered in these tassels and bracelets. Emma and Alyssa were close behind him. And I got two. I guess, I am not going to live long.

Mar 5

So how long you should wear these things all over your body you ask? The tradition says you are supposed to wear them until the moment you see a stork or a swallow returning home from migration. Then you take it off and tie it to a branch of a blossoming tree. So good luck, Matt, wearing two and a half pounds of your long life red and white threads and finding a stork nearby.

Happy Spring everyone! I hope it brings you lots of health and happiness. I know for the matter of fact that it will bring me quite a lot of happiness. I am ready for the warmth and sunny long days. Chestita Baba Marta!

3 comments :

  1. haha :) just picturing matt having to tie all those things on a tree...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool tradition! I love how each culture has something that is unique and fun like that. Happy March!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool! How fun that you guys get to experience all these cool traditions and tell us about them. And Matt did always like to wear girly things like bracelets.....

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |