Pages

Under Pressure

March 11, 2013

E

I always knew I'd have to pay for all the mean things I did or said to my mom when I was a teenager. I just did not know that the time would come so soon. It is inevitable with three girls at home to have total drama overload. For some reason though I always hoped it wouldn't be as hard as it is. I also fully understand that what we have right now is nothing comparing to what will come later.

Last month has been tough. It feels like somebody came and turned my good natured child into a prickly cactus. Emma was by far my easiest child (after she turned two and a half that is). She was always happy to be with me and help me out with anything. She used to be such a pleaser. As long as you cheer her on she's happy to do whatever you ask her to. Always loved to do her homework and play with her sisters.
Suddenly, she stopped liking all this stuff. She stopped being happy and started being grumpy. She whines non stop. Seriously, sometimes I think she forgot how to talk normally and instead she whines. She is becoming annoyed with her sisters more often and tries to pick on fights with them. She stopped being interested in learning and instead she whines for TV. Did I say she whines a lot? As for being a helper and a pleaser, I heard from her this pearl last week:"I am not your servant!" And when I stood there shocked and couldn't come up with anything smart to say I understood she is growing up. It hit me hard and suddenly I felt like crying. I felt like my life is spiraling too fast and is getting out of control. My girl is testing her limits. Those are new real limits. She is going through something and I wish I knew how to find a way to get closer to her instead of letting her get away.

I knew this time would come eventually, but she is only six years old. Does it really start this early? Isn't it supposed to start when she's closer to being a teenager?

This month has been rough. There are days when I feel like I fail as a parent and there are days when I feel like I just stand there and everything else around me moves with the high speed while I am as slow as a snail. I feel like losing control over my kids especially when they gang up against me. I wish I knew what to do and say under pressure. I wish I had a thicker skin. I wish I could learn how to be better. I wish to become a nun learn how to be a cool and fun mom who is being respected by her children. I wish. I wish. I wish. Can somebody tell me how to get there? Anyone?

7 comments :

  1. Oh I so do not envy you this situation! I hope it is just a passing phase for you and Emma. 3 kids are a challenge, but remember you are an EXCELLENT mother if only because you care and love your children. Whenever I am having difficult moments I try to remember that while I feel like a horrible mother those thoughts are from Satan to make me want to give up and 'not care' about everything! I once heard a quote that says something like parenting is not easy, but if it were you are not doing it right! Sending my love and prayers your way (just think spring is coming soon so you can hopefully spend more time outside and the sun shines so everything seems better)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard from some friends with older kids that they go through this kind of phase every couple years or so. 2, 4, 6....so on. Jeremy has had a rough 4 year old year but he is starting to grow out of it. It is probably just a phase she is going through, and like you said, testing her limits. I bet in a little while she will be back to the sweet Emma she has alsways been. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha...too late to be a nun :)
    I'm with suzie. My kids seemed to go through this every two years. and just so you know, turning 8 is the worst, so that's what you get to look forward to! Yay :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dasha, you are an amazing mom to your girls and a wonderful example to us all! Don't be so hard on yourself, you are doing a great job!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dasha, I don't have any answers, but I love you! I think you are fabulous, and amazing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids are just whiney. Period. Sometimes it is worse than other times for sure. Lucas tells me all the time that I am the meanest mom ever... and then he gets soap in his mouth. :) If you think about it, the life of a kid has to kind of suck. Everyone is constantly telling you what to do, where to go, what to eat, and when to go to bed. They very rarely get to make decisions for themselves. Not that any of this helps... but just know that my kids whine too. Hang in there. At least you aren't the meanest mom ever... haha. That's me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you, sista!!! This is a story of my life right now!

    A few co-workers with "strong-minded" kids have recommended this book ( I haven't gotten it yet):

    http://www.amazon.com/Screamfree-Parenting-Revolutionary-Approach-Raising/dp/0767927435

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |